Monday, January 01, 2007

hey there, 2007

from a conversation this morning:

SU: say, there's a christmas tree on top of the bookcase.
HS: yeah, you put it there.
SU: who puts a christmas tree on top of a bookcase??
HS: you do.
SU: why??
HS: it seemed like a good idea? it looked lonely on the sidewalk? you were drunk.

I'd have to say the best part of New Year's Eve, despite all the weird and fun episodes of the night, was the barely sentient pizza-eating at 5am on Houston. If not for that, Monday would have been far worse... at least I was capable of walking today. [another artifact of the evening--i shouldn't post this publicly, but it's just too odd. if someone who's asked you out a million times but also thinks you're a schizophrenic lesbian tries to set you up with their (male) friend, what does that mean? is it a test or an olive branch? and if it is a test, how do you "prove" you're not a lesbian? not that I'd want to, it all seems too devious for my taste. I much prefer the peace offering theory, that it was all a bygones-be-bygones kind of thing.]

I was hoping to do a 2006 top-ten songs and albums, but it's looking less likely as January rolls along. However, Nelly Furtado, if you're reading this, please for the love of god stick with Timbaland! Nothing better could have happened to your career. I even admitted I liked "Promiscuous" and "Maneater" in front of my snobby music-clubbing friends. Our year-end meeting was a big one for revelations. Some members admitted their fondness of the Dixie Chicks, others derided them. The one guy who always plays long math-rock anthems played long math-rock anthems that everyone else hated. All agreed we liked this year's Camera Obscura album.

Also, my vote for person of the year goes to Justin Timberlake. Between "My Love" and "Dick in a Box," the man provided more legitimate entertainment than any celebrity since Garth Brooks brushed his bangs and became the lite-rockin' Chris Gaines. (Honorable mentions for '06 antics go to Britney Spears and Mel Gibson.)

Today's playlist: Josh Ritter, Emily Haines, Malajube, The Knife. Not that those make any sense together...

No comments: